We are wrapping up social studies unit 2. Today we put together a study guide to help prepare for the unit test next Wednesday, Dec. 20. Please encourage your child to spend a few minutes each day preparing for the test by reviewing the material in the study guide.
What’s Coming Up – Week of December 4-8
- Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe will be at Georgetown December 4-6. Additional information was sent home with students earlier this week. Our class will be shopping on Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 2:30. If you send a check with your child for the holiday shop, please make it payable to Georgetown PTC.
- Candy cane sale Dec. 4-15. Students who wish to purchase a candy cane may bring in $1. Candy canes will be delivered to students each day.
- Georgetown Elementary Holiday Program is on Thursday, December 14 at Fair Haven. Watch your teacher’s blog for specific details.
- Our classroom holiday breakfast will be on Friday, Dec. 22. To sign up to volunteer or donate items, click here.
The annual candy cane sale has returned. Our fifth-grade classes will sell candy canes at school to help raise money for their end of year activities. This year the sale runs from Monday, December 4 through Friday, December 15. The cost for each candy cane is $1.00, and candy canes will be delivered the same day they are ordered. Thank you for your support and happy holidays!
Students have math homework tonight. Some are struggling with the concept of dividing a whole number by a unit fraction or a unit fraction by a whole number.
These tutorials are available on Khan Academy. The videos are really useful for students to watch if they are feeling confused. Below each video is a practice opportunity as well as links to other videos on the topic.
Understanding Fractions as Division
Visually Dividing a Unit Fraction by a Whole Number
Dividing Whole Numbers by Unit Fractions
Welcome back! I hope you enjoyed the Thanksgiving break. We have just 20 school days until our holiday break, and those 20 days are packed with learning as well as some special activities.
- Early release this Friday, December 1.
- The Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe will be at Georgetown next week. This is an opportunity for students to purchase gifts for their family members. Our class will be shopping on Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 2:30.
- Georgetown Elementary Holiday Program is on Thursday, December 14 at Fair Haven.
- Our classroom holiday party will be on Friday, Dec. 22. We will be having a breakfast. Look for details and a sign up for donations and volunteers coming soon.
- We are continuing to work through Unit 3: Multiplication and Division with Fractions.
- We are focusing on becoming powerful readers of narrative and expository nonfiction texts.
- We are diving into Unit 2: Three Worlds Meet.
- We’re learning about Native American cultural regions and how climate and natural resources influenced the culture that developed in each region.
- We are investigating the causes and effects of the changing landscape of the Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Today our class received an outstanding from Mrs. Reagan recognizing Gabby as a Georgetown student that continually follows our school motto to Be Nice, Work Hard, Learn Well!
Way to go, Gabby!
Today was our first day of the school year with very cold weather, and many students were unprepared to be outside in the cold. Students will be outside for recess every day unless it is raining or extremely cold at their recess time. Please make sure your child has appropriate outdoor clothing at school every day.