Welcome back! I hope all of you had a restful and relaxing spring break. Can you believe there are only nine weeks left in the school year? These last few weeks of fifth grade are packed with events and activities, so please make sure you are checking the blog for important dates and details. You can also find a list of upcoming dates for fifth grade students and parents here.
- Fifth grade will be taking the M-STEP on the following dates:
- Tuesday, April 11
- Wednesday, April 12
- Thursday, April 13
- Tuesday, April 18
- Wednesday, April 19
- Thursday, April 20
- Friday, April 21
- Please avoid making appointments that would cause your child to miss school on these dates.
- Please make sure your child is getting plenty of rest, eating a healthy breakfast, and bringing a morning snack to school. This is important every day, but it is especially on the M-STEP testing days.
- Early release Friday, April 14.
- While it is still the expectation that fifth grade students read outside of school for at least 20 minutes five times per week (100 minutes per week), I realize how busy the last weeks of school can be for families, so I will not be asking parents to sign a reading log for the remainder of the school year.
- To keep your child interested and to make reading feel less like a chore, it is a great time of year try something different. Audiobooks, ebooks, magazines, and sharing a book on a topic of interest with a parent or sibling can all be useful strategies for refreshing the home reading routine.
We have had all kinds of fun learning about events leading to the American Revolution. We will be taking our unit 5 vocabulary quiz on Wednesday, March 22 and our unit test on Friday, March 24. On Monday, students should bring home a study guide to help them review for the test. I have also set up a fun review on Quizzizz as another way for students to practice. To access it, students should follow these instructions:
Enter the code 202108
All of the test questions are represented on the Quizzizz activity, so it is a great opportunity for students to practice.
What’s Coming Up-Week of Mar. 13
- I’m looking forward to seeing all of you at conferences this week.
- Report cards were sent home with students today. Since the end of year report cards will be mailed or sent by email, there is no need to return the envelopes.
- Book Fair is this week. We had a chance to preview today, and students made wish lists. Our class will shop on Wednesday, March 15.
- We had a guest reader today! Dr. Ceglarek came to our classroom and shared a favorite book of his, The Magician’s Hat, by Malcolm Mitchell, and avid reader and a member of the New England Patriots football team. Dr. Ceglarek introduced the book with this video. We really enjoyed learning about Malcolm Mithcell and reading his book.
- Health movie on March 30.
- Operations and Word Problems
- Students are wrapping up their own historical fiction stories.
Spring is coming, and with it comes our annual state assessment. Fifth grade will be taking the M-STEP on the following dates:
Tuesday, April 11
Wednesday, April 12
Thursday, April 13
Tuesday, April 18
Wednesday, April 19
Thursday, April 20
Friday, April 21
Please avoid making appointments that would cause your child to miss school on these dates.
Georgetown’s spring book fair will be next week. Our class will visit the book fair to preview on Monday, March 13. We will return to shop on Wednesday, March 15.