Happy New Year!

I hope you all enjoyed your holidays and that the break gave you opportunities for both fun and relaxation. We are getting back into the routine in room 301. I wanted to say thank you again to all of you who donated items or helped out at our classroom part before break. We had a great time eating and hanging out together.

This week we started a new science unit called Ch-Ch-Changes; it deals with matter and its interactions. Today we did a hands-on investigation to find out how different metals behave when heated. The investigation involved using small candles to heat strips of three different metals. Students measured the time that it took for equal amounts of shortening to melt at three different points on the each metal strip. They used this information to conclude that some metals transfer heat more quickly than others. We learned that this is called thermal conductivity. Before students touched any materials or equipment, we talked about some procedures for lab safety and the importance of every one following these procedures at all times. Your young scientists really impressed me with the care and responsibility they showed in the lab as well as with the way they applied their own knowledge and observations to the topic at hand.  Here are pictures of some of the groups hard at work observing, timing, and recording data.