Wow! This year has gone so quickly. I can’t believe this is the final weekly update for the year. This week’s update includes lots of important information, so please take a few minutes to look over it carefully.
Field Day – Tuesday, June 6
- Please make sure your child has the following items:
- Water bottle
- Sack lunch
- If you ordered a sack lunch from food service on or before May 19, it will be delivered to the stadium.
- We will leave school just before 9:00 to walk to HHS Eagle Stadium.
- Events begin at 9:20 with the first round of tug-of-war.
- Lunch is at 11:45.
- If you are planning to pick up lunch for your child, please note that the Subway at 36th and Baldwin gets VERY busy at lunch time on this day; you will want to plan ahead.
- We arrive back at school around 2:00.
Last Day of School
- Friday, June 9 is our last day of school
- Students will be dismissed at 12:15.
- If your child has a yellow safety belt at home, please make sure it gets returned to Mr. Gort this week.
- We’ve been slowly but steadily been cleaning out desks and lockers. Please make sure your child is emptying his or her backpack each night to make room for the next day’s load.
- District-wide, elementary schools follow the tradition of mailing report cards out on June 16 with delivery on Monday, June 19.
- Teachers also have the option send report cards via email on Friday, June 16. I won’t have access to my computer or email that day since I will be enjoying Gettysburg and Hershey Park with Baldwin Street Middle School eighth-graders on the East Coast Trip, so look for your fifth-grader’s report card to come in the mail.
We will be having a social studies test on unit 6 this Friday, May 12. Students should use the following resources to prepare for the test:
- Test review – filled out in class; students should store this in their take home folders in order to review either at home or at school.
- Unit 6 vocabulary (paper flashcards or online flashcards under social studies links on blog)
- Quizziz – online review game
2. Enter the 6-digit game code 825146 , and click “Proceed”
3. Now enter your name and click “Join Game!”
4. You will get an avatar, and then see a “Start Game” button. Click it to begin!
Welcome back! I hope all of you had a restful and relaxing spring break. Can you believe there are only nine weeks left in the school year? These last few weeks of fifth grade are packed with events and activities, so please make sure you are checking the blog for important dates and details. You can also find a list of upcoming dates for fifth grade students and parents here.
- Fifth grade will be taking the M-STEP on the following dates:
- Tuesday, April 11
- Wednesday, April 12
- Thursday, April 13
- Tuesday, April 18
- Wednesday, April 19
- Thursday, April 20
- Friday, April 21
- Please avoid making appointments that would cause your child to miss school on these dates.
- Please make sure your child is getting plenty of rest, eating a healthy breakfast, and bringing a morning snack to school. This is important every day, but it is especially on the M-STEP testing days.
- Early release Friday, April 14.
- While it is still the expectation that fifth grade students read outside of school for at least 20 minutes five times per week (100 minutes per week), I realize how busy the last weeks of school can be for families, so I will not be asking parents to sign a reading log for the remainder of the school year.
- To keep your child interested and to make reading feel less like a chore, it is a great time of year try something different. Audiobooks, ebooks, magazines, and sharing a book on a topic of interest with a parent or sibling can all be useful strategies for refreshing the home reading routine.
We have had all kinds of fun learning about events leading to the American Revolution. We will be taking our unit 5 vocabulary quiz on Wednesday, March 22 and our unit test on Friday, March 24. On Monday, students should bring home a study guide to help them review for the test. I have also set up a fun review on Quizzizz as another way for students to practice. To access it, students should follow these instructions:
Enter the code 202108
All of the test questions are represented on the Quizzizz activity, so it is a great opportunity for students to practice.
What’s Coming Up-Week of Mar. 13
- I’m looking forward to seeing all of you at conferences this week.
- Report cards were sent home with students today. Since the end of year report cards will be mailed or sent by email, there is no need to return the envelopes.
- Book Fair is this week. We had a chance to preview today, and students made wish lists. Our class will shop on Wednesday, March 15.
- We had a guest reader today! Dr. Ceglarek came to our classroom and shared a favorite book of his, The Magician’s Hat, by Malcolm Mitchell, and avid reader and a member of the New England Patriots football team. Dr. Ceglarek introduced the book with this video. We really enjoyed learning about Malcolm Mithcell and reading his book.
- Health movie on March 30.
- Operations and Word Problems
- Students are wrapping up their own historical fiction stories.
Spring is coming, and with it comes our annual state assessment. Fifth grade will be taking the M-STEP on the following dates:
Tuesday, April 11
Wednesday, April 12
Thursday, April 13
Tuesday, April 18
Wednesday, April 19
Thursday, April 20
Friday, April 21
Please avoid making appointments that would cause your child to miss school on these dates.