The annual candy cane sale has returned. Our fifth-grade classes will sell candy canes at school to help raise money for their end of year activities. This year the sale runs from Monday, December 4 through Friday, December 15. The cost for each candy cane is $1.00, and candy canes will be delivered the same day they are ordered. Thank you for your support and happy holidays!
Welcome back! I hope you enjoyed the Thanksgiving break. We have just 20 school days until our holiday break, and those 20 days are packed with learning as well as some special activities.
- Early release this Friday, December 1.
- The Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe will be at Georgetown next week. This is an opportunity for students to purchase gifts for their family members. Our class will be shopping on Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 2:30.
- Georgetown Elementary Holiday Program is on Thursday, December 14 at Fair Haven.
- Our classroom holiday party will be on Friday, Dec. 22. We will be having a breakfast. Look for details and a sign up for donations and volunteers coming soon.
- We are continuing to work through Unit 3: Multiplication and Division with Fractions.
- We are focusing on becoming powerful readers of narrative and expository nonfiction texts.
- We are diving into Unit 2: Three Worlds Meet.
- We’re learning about Native American cultural regions and how climate and natural resources influenced the culture that developed in each region.
- We are investigating the causes and effects of the changing landscape of the Sleeping Bear Dunes.
We had so much fun at our fall party on Friday. Thank you so much for donating items, snacks, and drinks and for volunteering your time! I’d especially like to thank Ann for taking great photos. As you can see, we shared lots of laughs and a good time was had by all.
Hello Parents! Another busy week has gone by and so many new learning opportunities are happening!
- Fifth grade Halloween parties will be on Friday, Oct. 27 from 2:15-3:15. Please use our fall party link (SignUp.com) to view volunteer needs and/or to donate items. We’re looking forward to a fun afternoon! Thanks!
- Goodies Factory fundraising information was sent home yesterday! Orders and payment are due Monday, Oct. 30th! For payment, please write one check payable to Georgetown Elementary. For more information, click here!
- We are wrapping up Unit 2: Addition and Subtraction with Decimals.
- Students are participating in book clubs and gathering evidence to write a literary essay analyzing a character.
- We are investigating how organisms affect the Great Lakes.
This week has all been about groups and group work. We’re laying the foundation to real-world collaboration with others by working on projects that involve careful listening, sharing and contributing towards a common goal as a group. At times, this can be tough, however, if we continually reflect on our performance and work to get better, positive outcomes will happen.
Fifth grade teachers have planned an activity for the entire fifth grade on the afternoon of Friday, Feb. 10. We will not need parent volunteers to help run the activity, but we will send out an email regarding donations of party supplies and snacks. We will hold Valentine exchanges in our individual classrooms earlier that day. If your child wishes to bring Valentine’s cards, please make sure that they have one for each student in our class. Click here for a list of students in our classroom.
I hope you all enjoyed your snow day today! The update for this week is short, but it contains important information about holiday activities at GES.
- GES Holiday Program is Tuesday, Dec. 13! Mrs. Bretz and the students have been busy preparing a wonderful program for you to enjoy. Information about when and where students should report can be found on Mrs. Bretz’s blog.
- Our classroom holiday party will be on Wednesday, Dec. 21 from 9:45-10:45. Check your email for information that I sent home over the weekend including a link to sign up to volunteer or donate items.
For the first time ever, we are going to have audience participation for our final song this year! The students are very excited to share this experience with you, however, in order to be ready to join in on the fun, we are asking families to download this free jingle bell playing app PRIOR to the holiday program on their phones if you will be attending the 3rd-5th grade performance. THANKS!!
iJingle Bells (John Slater) is available on iPhone
Christmas Jingle Bells (Bytza Entertainment) is available for Android
One of our Georgetown students is collecting toys for Toys For Tots. Ainslee Tomaszewski has a goal of collecting 155 toys and we have received 62 as of Monday. These toys will go to families who are having difficulty affording gifts this year.
Please bring your unwrapped gift to school by Thursday, December 8!