March 26 – **Baldwin Street Middle School tour, lunch and registration for classes (afternoon)
March 30 – April 9 – Spring Break
April 10, 11, 12 & 17 – M-STEP testing dates for fifth grade. Please avoid scheduling appointments during the school day on these dates if at all possible.
April 13 – Early release
- We will be finishing up Unit 6: Operations and Word Problems
- We are working on Text-Dependent Analysis which requires responding to reading through thoughtful, crafted writing.
- We will be having a social studies test on Tuesday on the Revolutionary War. Students should be using their foldable study guide and Quizzizz to review.
We will be taking a social studies test on the American Revolution next Tuesday, March 27. Students completed a foldable study guide that they should use to help review for the test. I also emailed students today with a link to a Quizzizz review game; this is another resource that students have found to be helpful in the past.
I also wanted to remind you that the pink middle school course selection sheets must be turned in to me by Friday, March 23.
We will visit the middle school on Monday, March 26. Your child should have brought home a letter from food service regarding lunch for that day. You can also see a copy here.
Counselors from Baldwin Street Middle School visited fifth grade classrooms today to talk with students about course selection.
- All students take four core classes: ELA, science, social studies, and math.
- Students can choose from a variety of exploratory options to fit their interests or their needs for additional support or challenge in specific content areas.
- Students received course selection sheets. These must be filled out and returned to your child’s teacher with a parent/guardian’s signature by Friday, March 23.
- For a more complete explanation of exploratory options, including course descriptions and promotional videos, see the BMS Counseling page.
- If you have questions or need more information, please contact Baldwin Street Middle School at (616)669-7750 or contact one of the counselors:
Music staff from the middle school also visited this morning to fit students for instruments.
- Students had the opportunity to try out some different band and orchestra instruments.
- Your child will be bringing home some information about these programs.
- Look for some important papers coming home on Thursday:
- Red note to come home regarding pick up arrangements for when we arrive at school after camp on Friday, May 19. Please fill out this sheet and return it by Tuesday, May 16.
- Pink course selection sheet from the middle school. Please fill out and return it to your child’s teacher by Tuesday, May 16.
- If you plan to visit while we are at fifth-grade camp, please notify your child’s teacher by Tuesday, May 16. Please include the time you plan to arrive (breakfast, lunch, dinner).
- On Friday, May 26, the fifth-graders are off to Craig’s Cruisers to celebrate their time spent together at Georgetown Elementary. We are in need of many chaperones for this fun trip. We would like to invite you to sign up to chaperone this fun trip we’ve arranged. Please click on the link below to sign up if you are able to help out.
5th Grade Celebration Sign Up
This morning we had some visitors in room 301! Mr. Olson, the principal at Baldwin Street Middle School, and Annika, a student from last year’s fifth-grade class, came to answer some of our questions about middle school. Your child received two handouts:
- one including important dates for the middle school transition process
- one listing some school supplies that your child will need to be successful in middle school
Please take the time to look over these together and keep them in a safe place. Questions about dates or other specifics from the handouts should be directed to the office at the middle school. They can be reached at (616)669-7750.
In the afternoon, music staff came to do some instrument fittings. Students received a packet of information about options for music next year. Please take a few minutes to look over this information as well.