March 26 – **Baldwin Street Middle School tour, lunch and registration for classes (afternoon)
March 30 – April 9 – Spring Break
April 10, 11, 12 & 17 – M-STEP testing dates for fifth grade. Please avoid scheduling appointments during the school day on these dates if at all possible.
April 13 – Early release
- We will be finishing up Unit 6: Operations and Word Problems
- We are working on Text-Dependent Analysis which requires responding to reading through thoughtful, crafted writing.
- We will be having a social studies test on Tuesday on the Revolutionary War. Students should be using their foldable study guide and Quizzizz to review.
- Our Valentine’s activity for fifth grade will be a classroom activity.
- We will NOT need parent volunteers for our activity, but we will be asking for snack donations.
- We will have classroom Valentine exchanges on February 14. If your child chooses to participate, please send in a Valentine for every student in the class.
- Some students have asked about making a Valentine box. If students wish to do so, they may, but it is certainly not required. I will have bags for students to use for Valentines as well. Students who wish to make a Valentine box should plan to bring it in on Wednesday, February 14 and to bring it home that day as well.
Parent chaperones are needed for fifth grade camp, which is on May 17-18.
- A form came home this past week with information about volunteering as a chaperone.
- If you’re interested in volunteering, please return the form no later than Wednesday, February 14.
- Names of interested parents will be entered into a drawing.
- All parents will be notified whether they’ve been selected on February 28.
- We are continuing Unit 5: Division with Whole Numbers and Decimals.
- We will begin a research unit in both reading and writing.
- We are finishing up our unit on Life In the Colonies. Students will have a test on Thursday, Feb. 15 on this unit. Study guide has been sent home.
- We continue our unit called, “Ch-Ch-Changes,” that has to do with matter.
Welcome back! I hope you enjoyed the Thanksgiving break. We have just 20 school days until our holiday break, and those 20 days are packed with learning as well as some special activities.
- Early release this Friday, December 1.
- The Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe will be at Georgetown next week. This is an opportunity for students to purchase gifts for their family members. Our class will be shopping on Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 2:30.
- Georgetown Elementary Holiday Program is on Thursday, December 14 at Fair Haven.
- Our classroom holiday party will be on Friday, Dec. 22. We will be having a breakfast. Look for details and a sign up for donations and volunteers coming soon.
- We are continuing to work through Unit 3: Multiplication and Division with Fractions.
- We are focusing on becoming powerful readers of narrative and expository nonfiction texts.
- We are diving into Unit 2: Three Worlds Meet.
- We’re learning about Native American cultural regions and how climate and natural resources influenced the culture that developed in each region.
- We are investigating the causes and effects of the changing landscape of the Sleeping Bear Dunes.