March 26 – **Baldwin Street Middle School tour, lunch and registration for classes (afternoon)
March 30 – April 9 – Spring Break
April 10, 11, 12 & 17 – M-STEP testing dates for fifth grade. Please avoid scheduling appointments during the school day on these dates if at all possible.
April 13 – Early release
- We will be finishing up Unit 6: Operations and Word Problems
- We are working on Text-Dependent Analysis which requires responding to reading through thoughtful, crafted writing.
- We will be having a social studies test on Tuesday on the Revolutionary War. Students should be using their foldable study guide and Quizzizz to review.
We will be taking a social studies test on the American Revolution next Tuesday, March 27. Students completed a foldable study guide that they should use to help review for the test. I also emailed students today with a link to a Quizzizz review game; this is another resource that students have found to be helpful in the past.
I also wanted to remind you that the pink middle school course selection sheets must be turned in to me by Friday, March 23.
We will visit the middle school on Monday, March 26. Your child should have brought home a letter from food service regarding lunch for that day. You can also see a copy here.
Counselors from Baldwin Street Middle School visited fifth grade classrooms today to talk with students about course selection.
- All students take four core classes: ELA, science, social studies, and math.
- Students can choose from a variety of exploratory options to fit their interests or their needs for additional support or challenge in specific content areas.
- Students received course selection sheets. These must be filled out and returned to your child’s teacher with a parent/guardian’s signature by Friday, March 23.
- For a more complete explanation of exploratory options, including course descriptions and promotional videos, see the BMS Counseling page.
- If you have questions or need more information, please contact Baldwin Street Middle School at (616)669-7750 or contact one of the counselors:
Music staff from the middle school also visited this morning to fit students for instruments.
- Students had the opportunity to try out some different band and orchestra instruments.
- Your child will be bringing home some information about these programs.
Report cards will be sent home with students at the end of the day on Monday, March 12. I will have an extra copy of each child’s report card at conferences for those parents who may not have a chance to look over the report card prior to their scheduled conference time.
Hello parents! It’s a bit of a short update this week but we’ll connect in person early-mid next week during our conference time.
- Conferences – I am looking forward to meeting with you at conferences!
- Link to my conference schedule
- March 15 – Instrument fittings
- Teachers from the middle school will be coming to Georgetown; they will bring band and orchestra instruments here to have the students try them out.
- School Safety Request from Mr. Cooley
- If your child is a safety, please check at home for any brightly-colored safety belts that may be around. We need those to rotate to new safeties each week. Thank you!
Grades 3-5 has been state test preparation (M-STEP
). This is a required test and it will take place in the weeks immediately following spring break.
Please make sure you look ahead on your family calendar (Gr 3,4,5) to make sure that your child is at school on the days listed. Please change any appointments so they do not occur the mornings of testing.
Also, provide extra nutritional snacks on the testing days, along with a water bottle — and adequate sleep during the testing period.
Testing takes place between 9-12 on these dates:
- Grade 5 April 10, 11, 12, 17
- Grade 4 May 8, 9, 10
- Grade 3 April 24, 25, 26
Students have a homework assignment to complete in Study Island.
- Log in through Clever (see link under technology links).
- Find assignment titled “Math Homework 2/22.”
- Read over the lesson.
- Complete a practice session. This should include 1o questions or problems. Make sure to click “End Session” when you’re finished.
- Give your best effort. I will use the results of this practice opportunity to determine whether you understand how to find perimeter.