Welcome back! I hope all of you had a restful and relaxing spring break. Can you believe there are only nine weeks left in the school year? These last few weeks of fifth grade are packed with events and activities, so please make sure you are checking the blog for important dates and details. You can also find a list of upcoming dates for fifth grade students and parents here.
- Fifth grade will be taking the M-STEP on the following dates:
- Tuesday, April 11
- Wednesday, April 12
- Thursday, April 13
- Tuesday, April 18
- Wednesday, April 19
- Thursday, April 20
- Friday, April 21
- Please avoid making appointments that would cause your child to miss school on these dates.
- Please make sure your child is getting plenty of rest, eating a healthy breakfast, and bringing a morning snack to school. This is important every day, but it is especially on the M-STEP testing days.
- Early release Friday, April 14.
- While it is still the expectation that fifth grade students read outside of school for at least 20 minutes five times per week (100 minutes per week), I realize how busy the last weeks of school can be for families, so I will not be asking parents to sign a reading log for the remainder of the school year.
- To keep your child interested and to make reading feel less like a chore, it is a great time of year try something different. Audiobooks, ebooks, magazines, and sharing a book on a topic of interest with a parent or sibling can all be useful strategies for refreshing the home reading routine.