- Information regarding opportunities for parents to volunteer as camp chaperones were sent home earlier this week. If you are interested in chaperoning, please return the form to school by Feb. 19th.
- Dates for camp this year are May 16-17.
Symphony Field Trip:
- On February 19, fifth graders will have the opportunity to travel to Holland to see a special performance by the Grand Rapids Symphony. We will leave school around 10:15 and return around 1:00.
- In fifth grade, we do not do parties for Valentine’s Day.
- We will have an optional Valentine exchange. If your child chooses to participate, please have him or her bring a Valentine for each student in the class. We have 27 students in our classroom.
- We will decorate bags to use to gather our Valentines, so there is no need to create a box or container to send in.
We are launching Unit 5 which will focus on division of whole numbers and decimals. Once again, it is incredibly important that your child keeps practicing their math facts. A high level of fact fluency is a great indicator for future math success!
ELA: Historical Fiction:
- We are continuing to focus on becoming powerful readers of historical fiction texts. Students are reading historical fiction novels in small groups as book clubs. To keep up with reading expectations, it is important for your child to honor their group’s reading plan.
- Reminder….The students are expected to read 100 minutes a week. As a parent please initial the log when they read at home, showing you confirm your child has read for the minutes recorded.
We are exploring Life in Colonial America.
We are continuing studying the unit, “Ch-ch-changes” on physical changes.