Uncategorized

Update – March 17

Hello, families.

What a beautiful day it was! I hope you had an opportunity to spend some time outside and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. We’re experiencing a lot of uncertainty these days, and when things feel uncertain, spending even a few minutes outside helps me feel grounded.

Dr. VanderJagt sent an email on Monday that suggested some schedules and resources for at-home learning, and Mrs. Reagan shared some ideas on the Georgetown Elementary blog

Regardless of what (if anything!) you decide to work on with your child, you are doing just fine! I encourage you to focus on family time. This is a great time to step back and take the time to teach important concepts like humanity, kindness, emotion management. Teach a new recipe or a new craft. Try out a new game or make one up. Go outside and explore the backyard. Build. Create. Play! Take time to do all of the wonderful things that we never seem to have the time to do. And try to breathe. 🙂

Here are some ideas:

If you’re worried about missing math…

• Bake together and discuss fractions
  • Play Yahtzee! (or any other board game) and count up points
  • Practice number sense by playing what-if games or how-many games
    • “If our dog eats 1 ¾ cups of food for breakfast and the same for dinner, how much does he eat in a week? How many meals can we get out of this bag of dog food? Is it a better deal to get the bigger bag or the smaller bag?”
    • “How many grapes do you think are in this bunch? How many grape bunches do you think they have a Meijer? If there is ___ number of grapes on a bunch and ___ number of bunches, how many grapes is that?!”

If you’re worried about missing ELA…

• Bake together and have your child read the recipe
  • Read a book together, taking turns reading chapters
  • Have your child read to a sibling or a pet or a stuffed animal
  • Write “piggyback” songs or parodies of popular songs

To sum it up, have fun together!

Lastly, please let me know how I can support you and your family. Your child is my top priority; please let them all know that I deeply miss my fifth graders!

Love,

Mrs. Ball

Images from The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse by Charles Mackesy, published by HarperOne