Wow! Our first day of fifth grade went smoothly. We had a great time learning some of the procedures of our classroom and getting to know one another a little bit better. I meant to take a photo of our group, but the day flew by so quickly! I will try to take one tomorrow.
One of the activities we did was to make duct tape book marks for our independent daily reading (IDR) books. A few students were asking for the directions so that they could make their own at home. Here is a link if your child is interested in making one at home. I will also include it in the links section of our blog.
On Wednesday, we will begin our talent sharing activity. Information on this was shared at open house last week (purple sheet). We will be decorating our writer’s notebooks on Friday, so if your child has not already brought in his or her materials for the collage activity, please make sure that it is here by Friday (yellow sheet from open house).
Finally, thank you so much for all of your donations to our classroom! I feel so fortunate to have such a supportive group of parents.
Please read this important information regarding changes in how your child gets home after school:
Bus Pass Information
- Parents must submit a BUS PASS to the transportation office by 10:00 am the morning of the transportation change. Parents will be notified by 1:00 pm if the change is approved or denied.
- This policy applies to grades 1-5. Kindergarteners are NOT allowed to change busses.
- The Gr 1-5 Bus Pass can be found here.
Changes in Going Home
We pride ourselves in making sure that all of the children are safe at school — constantly reviewing our procedures for security. We feel the same way about the process of sending your children home at the end of the day. I want to make sure that every single child goes home safely each day.
- If there CHANGE in the plan for going home, you must contact me by email before 2 pm on the day of the change. You may also send a note to school with your child. I must hear from you by email, phone or note before 2 pm on the day of the change. Because I am busy teaching and working with the children, this is my last opportunity to check email before the end of the school day.
- Please avoid making changes mid-day and contacting school by phone. When the office is contacted, the classroom is interrupted by intercom to inform me of the change. This is a disruption in our learning environment.
- We understand that occasionally last minute changes do occur, however, when this becomes a pattern it is very disruptive to the classroom environment — and can cause anxiety with some children.
- Last school year, there were many changes per day that were either recorded by the teachers or the office. Our hope is that this can be reduced this coming year. Limited changes means consistency which also means we are less likely to make errors. We want your child to be safe and secure after school.
- Also, please read the district BUS PASS policy so that you are well informed about the limits of changing busses.